Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Aljazeera in English - hmmm. interesting

Here it is folks: http://english.aljazeera.net/News Aljazeera in English. I think it will be most interesting to see what happens with this development.

It will be fun to see how they translate certain terms. For example, I noticed that Aljazeera used the term "Palestinian fighter" when the BBC used "Palestinian militant" to describe the same event in the news today.

I understand that Aljazeera has different politics, but why did they choose the term "fighter"? It sounds so unnatural and odd. I know they are looking for a more neutral word...but "fighter"? غريب. How about something like "combatant"?

This is going to be most interesting.

4 Comments:

At 16:39, Blogger Jonesy said...

shouldn't you be doing something more important. I'm sick and tired of you not doing anything. Get to work. I didn't pay money to come to Jordan and find an apartment by myself!!!. Just kidding. Sweet blog. Hope all is well.

 
At 20:19, Blogger ratbert said...

I think their intent was not to find a neutral word but one that neutralized the negative cast of "militant." Combatant is purely a bureaucratic word.

 
At 00:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's Great News!
Learn Language Skills

 
At 04:59, Blogger Unknown said...

Register for an online Arabic course during Ramadan & Get a Free Quran Course, Free Speaking Classes and Free Tuition in Egypt!

http://www.arabacademy.com/en/arabic-online/register

 

Post a Comment

<< Home